Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Generally speaking, having more than one kid can be kind of a pain in the ass. It's double the work, double the pregnancies, twice as long before you can sleep through the night. But then there are nights like tonight. When my boys, 9 and 5 years old are playing in the front yard where I'm watching them from the kitchen window. They don't know I'm watching, as Spazz (our oldest) just made a chalk drawn hopscotch board for Rage (the littlest). They don't know that I saw the high-five for winning their bike race in the driveway. Do these idyllic moments happen often? Not hardly. These two couldn't more different. More often than not they are fighting over the x-box, or the last ice cream sandwich or blaming each other for the sugar spilled on the kitchen floor. It took us four years to get "brave" enough to make this family of ours more than the three amigos. Sometimes, I wonder what it's like to only be responsible for raising one little person. Would I be a better Mom to just one? Would that child do better in school with more attention? I've come to realize though, that you really don't get the full experience with just one. With an only child you never have to break up a fight or give your damndest to keep things fair. There isn't a democracy, but a dictatorship. We're still at the early phases at parenting. My mom has told me that the roughest years are soon upon us. I for damn sure don't feel prepared for that and I can only pray that we make it to the other side in tact albeit with a bit more grey hair. Our boys will probably be at each others throats again in the next fifteen minutes. But for now, I'm at peace with our decision to have two simply for the fact that they will always have each other. And even when they're being little shit teenagers, and coordinating lies to sneak out of the house I'm thankful that they have someone to conspire with. I know this isn't much in the way of introducing a blog, but the backstory will surely tumble out in time. The best way to capture the now, is to write in the now. I hope to chronicle our adventures raising Rage and Spazz (names changed to protect future political careers) to remember all of these little thoughts and days that slip by far too quickly. Stay tuned for more adventures of the "Rage and Spazz Show"!

No comments:

Post a Comment